Tuesday, August 25, 2009

What's Important to YOU?

Here's a question someone, at some point in your life, is bound to ask... What's important to YOU?

I've been thinking about that a lot. (B says I think too much, I am beginning to think he's right!! LOL) I guess that being at home and slowing down a bit gives one time to reflect. Or, maybe it is this inablilty to sleep at night due to ice cream binges at 10pm. Either way, take a second, think about it. At the end of the day, what's important?

There are numerous things that come to mind:
1. Family
2. Community Involvement
3. Money... financial stability
4. Career... where you are, where you want to be
5. Material Goods
6. Religious Beliefs
8. Education
9. FILL IN THE BLANK

I could say it is the upcoming season (Fall), that I love so much, is the reason that right now my focus is on family, but that would be a lie. I think about family all the time. Fall just makes it more prevalent b/c the holidays I enjoy cohencide w/ it.

We recently went to B's parent's house. We haven't been there in almost 8 months, which is not unusual for us. The time we spent there was so enjoyable, something that doesn't always happen. It made me realize maybe other people's priorities have changed. :) I am hopeful for that fact. As I raise my children I want them to know their family, all of it. I am not from an extended family, so to speak, so getting all the kinks worked out can be challenging. Sometimes people aren't as invested in getting to know your family as you'd like, but if you're like me... you just keep trying.

With that said, I am going to create a Family Calendar. B and I going to have both sides of the family on it. It will have birthdays and anniversaries marked. This may not sound like a lot, but it is a start. I want to attempt to call, email or send a card for those "special occasions" in our family memeber's lives. I want them to know that we think about them, that we care. This will be the first step, and from there we'll move forward.

I take on this calendar project with optimism. I am excited to see what can improve with it, at the very least I'll be more informed. After the calendar, I think I want to tackle a Family Holiday Scrapbook, one that contains large family gathers (ie: Christmas and Thanksgiving).

Here's to moving forward!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ooh yes I def. want a copy of the family bday calendar. I also completely agree that family is something I think about all the time. Until joining your family I honestly didn't see what it was all about. Funny how life brings us together and makes the important things painfully obvious :)