Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I thought you wanted to be a teacher?

I just got done discussing a forth coming problem with an Aunt of mine. She is going back to school, as a lot of people are. She can already tell that her English Comp. teacher isn't going to do much "teaching". She was pretty vague going over the syllabus, didn't give much explanation of how to do the work, but that she wanted it done her way, and she gave an essay question on the first day. To this teacher I say, "I thought you wanted to be a teacher?" Part of doing that is to actually teach. You can't just assume that everyone is on the same page as you. Hello, it is the first day of class!!! Besides, everyone learns differently.

I guess inside me there still is a teacher. One that wants to make sure everyone excels, at least to the point where they actually "get" something from a class. It makes me sad that teachers are like this. I see it a lot in the college scheme. Professors set expectations high, as they should, it is college, but sometimes they forget, esp. those teaching the 100 and 101 classes, that these are classes for beginners. Some people have been out of high school for a LONG time, and it isn't that they don't know what they're doing, they're just a little rusty and need some guidance.

Oh man, I think I'm on to something here... Miranda may be going back to school one of these days. Not right now, but maybe when Hunter starts school. I think I could help make a difference being a professor.... Sure would be a lot more schooling, but really... what is life if you're not living it doing something you love?

Thanks, Gayla, for reminding me how important teaching can be.

No comments: