Thursday, June 18, 2009

Motherly Reminder

I spent yesterday at my Mom's with the kids. It was nice to spend time at her place, where I can't get caught up in doing household chores or something else that distracts me from enjoying her and the kids.

We ate Chinese and talked while Lilly slept and Hunter entertained himself w/ the little pool and playdough, on the deck where we could see him, of course. While we ate and "caught up" I began to tell my mom how I was stressing about our family situation. I'm not use to not "doing my share", as I see it. Working was always necessary and I wanted, and still want, to contribute. I then went on to tell her something that I don't really voice, and just recently told B. I told her that I'm tired of it being so hard, working so hard and not having all that I wanted, or felt we should have at this point in our lives. As I said it, I realized... I'm still young. Our family is still young. Our marriage is still young. I can't have everything right away. I have a LOT to be thankful for! Yes, I'm unemployed right now, but we're still going to be ok. At least it wasn't B who was unemployed. Now that would really crush us. We still have all the things we've always had. Money, which I hate, will just be tight for a while. We will survive. We have one another, a place to live, food to eat, and an awesome family that loves us and helps support us.

I needed that little realization. I guess I'm just sooo worried that we'll hit rock bottom, like others have in this recession, that I lost perspective. We're going to keep above water, and right now that needs to be enough. It will be enough.

My Mom told me about the house they bought, which they still own, and all the "hiccups" they encountered w/ it while my brothers and I were all VERY young. I can only imagine how hard that would have been. I don't know if I would have faired as well as my parents did if that was our sitation. And as she's telling me all this... I realize, "Hey my parents are fine. I don't have memories of living w/o as a kid. I thought my life was GREAT!" Sometimes, esp. my generation, loses prespective. Things change so fast and you feel that you are constantly having to "keep up". I've decided, ... I don't have to, nor do I need to, keep up. I'm fine where I'm at. I have the things I wanted most. I have a husband who loves and supports me, I have 2 beautiful, healthy children, and I have the basics I need to survive.

I'm grateful and appreciative. Thank you Mom and God, for putting me in my place! :)

No comments: